Friday, December 2, 2011

Riding on the Gravy Thanksgiving Train...Still

Upon returning from my Thanksgiving vacation in Kiev, my supervisor here at the university said that it would not be right if we didn't have our own Thanksgiving celebration among the English teachers in our department. With that, some chocolate bars and a bottle of Soviet champagne (the staple of all of our events) was brought out! Definitely my most unique Thanksgiving celebration to date! I for one am definitely grateful for these fabulous co-workers and our intercultural work environment!


And, as if two Thanksgiving celebrations weren't enough, we gathered together this week with our high school students who are a part of the Access English Microscholarship Program for yet another feast (you can check out our Halloween party in October and read more about the program here). These kids are always so much fun to be around...the textbook demands of grammar-translated English hasn't engulfed them yet, and most of them are eager to interact and improve their communicative English as best as they can!





After my presentation, and a few surprises from the students, it was time to eat our Ukrainian take on turkey and stuffing: chicken and mashed potatoes!


At least one of the lunch-ladies seemed okay with the extra overtime work:




To finish the evening, and force encourage the kids to do at least one more English-related activity, we had everyone write what they are thankful for on paper leaves to add to our "Thankful Tree!"





Having three opportunities to fully celebrate and share Thanksgiving here in Ukraine, I've really had the chance to realize just how unique this holiday is! I mean, one single day that greatly contributes to the obesity rates of one of the fattest countries in the world under the pretense of historical folly and gratitude-giving? Genius, America! Man, how I love my quirky country!

I've said it once (already) on this blog, and I'll say it again: Happy Thanksgiving, everyone! We truly do have so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment