Sunday, December 4, 2011

You Say "Potato," I Say "Deruny"

Ahh, the fabulous деруни (pronounced "deruny), or simple Ukrainian potato pancakes. These babies are usually served as a main when no meat is served (which, I gotta say, is rare here!), but they are often served as sides as well. Talk about easy (like, 100 times faster to make than when I made borscht), deruny only require a few ingredients (potatoes, onion, egg, flour, and сметана, or sour cream) and a little bit of prep before frying away to your heart's content!


Originally, the potatoes and onion are supposed to be shredded into a fine pulp, but the "star-side" of my grater was infinitely rusted and probably had one too many tales to tell if it could, so I opted for the chunkier shredded solution. Still tasty, but I prefer how they're traditionally prepared, so a new grater for me is in the near future (yes, it really IS this glamorous living and working abroad)!



I love a culture that loves its heavy and soured creams! And I love deruny. It's a win-win all around here, folks!

For a pretty good recipe on making deruny (and other awesome Ukrainian dishes), head here.


No comments:

Post a Comment