Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Remedy School

My immune system is a matter of pride for me. I spend most of my days during the year feeling just fine and dandy, basking in all of my "health = wealth" glory.

And then that dreaded time--usually about once a year (usually about this time of year)--hits.

Getting sick in a foreign country, while every bit as annoying and uncomfortable, is a little more interesting than back on the familiar home-turf. When co-workers and neighbors come running with their long-"proven" advice on how to beat the crud, it almost always proves to be something a little unusual, especially where folk remedies are concerned. And Ukraine has some goodies.

The number one thing I was told, by numerous people, was to get some малена (raspberry) jam and add it to a hot cup of tea. For some reason, the tea and the jam are supposed to induce sweating to sweat out the toxins. What's the mysterious cold-fighting powers of raspberry jam that have eluded us North Americans all these years?



Along with the jam, I'm also supposed to add a few slices of lemon and some honey to the tea. And along with that, eating a bowl of каша (known to us Westerners as porridge or oatmeal) with heavy cream and a huge ol' pat of butter is also said to be a cold-combatant here. I suspect it's due more to comfort-calories than anything else, but who am I to argue with tradition?

When word started to spread that I was sick, I was also presented with a bag full of this:


The best-guess translation from those trying to explain to me what it was is a bunch of dried "lime" leaves and flowers. So, yeah...could pretty much be anything. What I'm supposed to do is boil the leaves and flowers for a few minutes...


...and then let it cool until it turns red. Add honey, and drink!


Perhaps the most unusual advice was for my general all-around health (not to mention shiny hair and glowing skin): a few raw quail eggs a day!


Luckily for me, these babies are cheap and plentiful around these parts! Healthy heart and fabulous hair, here I come~



And those, to summarize, are the best of Ukrainian home remedies for the dreadful winter cold. Who knew getting sick could be such a cultural learning experience!? Or, as my boss stated, "You could just forget all of that and have a few shots of cognac instead. Why do you think I'm the only one here not sick?"

Touche.


No comments:

Post a Comment