Thursday, December 15, 2011

Good Luck, Eat Sushi

My 5th year university students are finishing up their regular formal classes next week, and will be lost in thesis-writing and practicums next semester. Although I only got the chance to get to know them for one semester, I had such a great time talking about some wild topics with them in English. They are, after all, the future translators and interpreters of Ukraine, so they're pretty darn good!

For our final soiree, they surprised me with an awesome morning feast of open-faced sandwiches, finger foods, casserole, and...SUSHI! Have I mentioned that sushi is huge, HUGE here? No? Well, remind me to tell you about the time I went to a Ukrainian sushi restaurant. No really, it's a good one. Also, my students are obsessed with making and eating sushi. I had no idea I would leave Japan to come to Soviet Sushi Land, but here I am!

Anyway, I digress. The delicious spread (apologies for point-and-shoot pics):



The other teacher who co-teaches the class and who is a FANTASTIC cook:



A little holiday entertainment (note attempted chopstick usage):


And, our fab looking group...I think I blend in quite nicely for being 30!


This was such a good group of young adults, and I'm really going to miss teaching them next semester. On a good note, however, this goodbye means only TWO DAYS until I'm off on a jet plane to Germany where I'll finally get to have some Christmas adventures with my husband again. Counting down the hours...

No comments:

Post a Comment