Monday, October 31, 2011

Happy Halloween!

Halloween is always my most favorite time of the year. I absolutely love getting an amazing costume together with my husband and going out with fabulous friends. This year though, my celebrating was quite a bit different without either of those things in a country where Halloween is in its "early stages" to say the least!

My Halloweekend was not lost, however, as I got to help give two Halloween parties to 20 high school students each as a part of the Access America Program, which I help out with as a part of my project here. Access America gives 40 underprivileged students an opportunity to have extra English language classes and learn more about the United States, as well as to have special holiday and cultural activities with an American (that's me!). As this was everyone's first Halloween party EVER, it was quite a feat! We had costumes (the kids looked great!), games, decorations and prizes (thanks to a great gift box from my mom), music, and lots of candy! I did a presentation on Halloween traditions in the States, and everyone just had a blast!























So I think that if I can't celebrate Halloween by going all out (and by actually going out), then why not be a part of the movement to get more Halloween action going here in Ukraine!? Afterall, these kids are the future, right!

From the Eastern Block, Happy Halloween, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment