Tuesday, February 7, 2012

31 Years

Yesterday, on what was perhaps the coldest birthday of my life, I turned 31 years old!


I have to say, it was one of the most low-key birthdays I've had in quite awhile (especially in comparison to my mega-30th 1980s theme party last year in Japan). My co-workers originally had a birthday lunch-fest planned at the department, but school is still cancelled due to the terrible temperatures. The day, however, was not without some sweet birthday lovelies, including this name-sake banner made by my Access English Program high school students:


In the evening, as an homage to my former living arrangement, I met a few friends at the Japanese restaurant downtown for sushi and drinks! A Japanese dinner in Ukraine with Ukrainian and American company...talk about internationalization!


One of the best birthday gifts of the evening, my very own ushanka hat to ward of the bitter, bitter cold:


I also received some other goodies, such as a Russian book of poetry, some tasty spices, and a scarf broach:


To celebrate in style, I had a lovely goma kombu (sesame and seaweed) salad, along with the Crazy Dragon sushi roll! Yummers!


And, as I couldn't pass up an opportunity to compliment my dessert to my main dish, the Black Dragon had to make an appearance as well:


Cold-tested and American-approved:


I love the saying, "Never regret getting older. It is an opportunity denied to many." What better reason do you need to make sure there's always room for a little (or a lot of) celebrating on birthdays! While I desperately miss having my husband and good old friends around for the day, it's nice to know that there are new friends and experiences to help make the day more than ordinary!

Thanks to all who sent cards (Mom, Dad, and Carissa), left messages, and passed good thoughts and vibes my way! Here's to another fabulous year in my 30s!

No comments:

Post a Comment